One new local virus case in NSW

By | January 7, 2021

NSW health authorities are investigating a positive coronavirus test result recorded around 10am on Thursday morning.

The case was recorded on Thursday morning just an hour before the press conference at 11am.

The person who was infected resides in the Avalon suburb on Sydney’s northern beaches, where a large COVID-19 outbreak began in mid-December.

That cluster caused authorities to lock the northern part of the area down, with a plan to lift that restriction on Saturday.

The infected man had been in self-isolation prior to exhibiting symptoms and testing positive, NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant said.

“It does highlight that we have that level of community transmission in that northern zone. This is the risk that we want to make sure we tackle very promptly,” she said.

In the 24-hour period up until 8pm Wednesday night, there were no new locally transmitted cases. However, in that period there were six new cases in hotel quarantine.

More than 27,000 people were tested for COVID-19 in that period, but Acting Premier John Barilaro indicated those numbers need to go up.

“It influences the decisions we make as a government,” he said.

“If there is an opportunity to lift restrictions in the future, and especially around the northern beaches that data is very important.”

The new figures come as virus warnings popped up in towns far away from Sydney, a sign authorities fear the coronavirus could be spreading across the state.

An infected person was at the Nostalgia Factor Shop at Kangaroo Valley on December 27. Anyone there between 11.20am and 11.30am has been told to get tested and isolate until they receive a negative result.

Read More:  Breath Analyzer for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome

The same goes for anyone who ate at the Taj Indian Restaurant in the beachside town of Huskisson.

People who dined there on December 27 between 4.45pm and 5.20pm must also get tested.

A cricket game between Australia and India went ahead at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Thursday.

That’s despite previous fears the test match could become a virus seeding event after a man attended a Boxing Day match in Melbourne and later tested positive.

“Things are going quite well at the SCG,” Mr Barilaro said.

He reminded attendees masks are mandatory throughout the event.

More to come.

Health and Fitness | — Australia’s leading news site